Parent Responsibility to be Aware of Dates and Events
It is the parents/guardians responsibility to be aware of performance events/opportunities, registration deadlines, studio holidays, etc. Periodically, updates will be sent home and/or emailed to you. Check the front of your student's binder each week. To keep informed you will need to read, and to participate, you must respond to deadlines for events. It is your responsibility to let the the studio know of any address, phone, email, and credit/debit card changes to your account. Also, you authorize and allow Encore Studio to send text messages.
Home Instrument & Play
Piano playing is a skill developed over many years. Most of the learning takes place at the student's home, playing the assignments. Set aside a specific time each day for practice. At least five days of home playing are expected. The student is given SPECIFIC STEPS, and instructed “how” to play at home. Beginners (years 1-2 or so) should play through all new assignments 3-5 times (thoughtfully) and all review assignments at least one time. The time this takes depends on the student’s level with a range from 15 to 30 minutes. As students progress, they may have a more specific practice plan, and might spend up to an hour a day playing at home. Playing at home, lessons, working with studio technology, and participation in studio activities are all important parts of piano study.
- Students enrolled in piano lessons/classes should have a quality acoustic or digital piano.
- Digital pianos should have full-size “weighted” or “hammer action” keys with touch sensitivity. It is preferable that they have a full 88 keys, but there are a few 76 key models which would work for the first few years of study.
- Acoustic pianos need to be tuned a minimum of once a year.
- Students need to have a metronome so that tempo and steady beat are practiced at home. (Many digital pianos have a metronome built in.) Also, ipads/iphones/androids have metronome apps.
- First Year students may use an inexpensive keyboard.
- The student's piano should be placed in an area of the home which is conducive to productive study and practice. (Don’t place the piano in the same room with the TV, video games, computer, etc.!)
Students need to be positive and courteous to the teacher and other students. Students are expected to make reasonable progress. If a student cannot meet these minimum requirements, he or she will be asked to leave the program. Parents, please support a positive attitude towards music study.
Please bring all your books; the studio may or may not have a copy of your study materials available. Clean hands are a must (you can wash when you arrive if needed). If you are a little early, please wait quietly in the waiting area until your lesson time, without interrupting another class or lesson. Lesson time will not be extended due to lateness. Parents are always welcome to observe quietly, from the waiting area. Wireless internet (bring your own laptop or tablet) is available. Watch the assignment book for announcements and/or newsletters. . . PLEASE - No strong perfume or aftershave - the teacher is highly sensitive! Thank you!
You grant Encore Studio permission to take videos, audio recordings, and pictures at studio events, performances, classes, and lessons. Parents, legal guardians of minor students, and adult students waive the right to any legal action for any injury sustained on studio property resulting from any activity conducted by the students before, during or after class time. The studio is not responsible for providing before or after class care for students. Parents with students age 5 and under are to remain in the studio during class. Students are not to be left at the studio for excessive time before or after class.
By continued payment and attendance of lessons, you automatically accept this and the policies below and agree to all terms set out.
Performing | Scheduling Lessons | Studio, Instrument, Home | Teacher Message